March 12, 2009

The simplest dessert of all: Caramel


You probably noticed that yesterday's recipe of the day was for caramel pudding. I'm a sucker for the stuff and have been ever since I was a kid, but it wasn't until I typed out that recipe yesterday that I was reminded of how much I enjoy this simple sweet. Some of my fondest memories involve eating caramel apples in Aspen, Colorado, every summer.

Serendipitously, I finally opened up my March issue of Bon Appétit and to my surprise, there is a whole section about caramel desserts!

My favorite part about a caramel recipe is its simplicity - you essentially just melt sugar and add some cream. Caramel is made by heating sugar slowly to around 170 °C (338 °F). As the sugar melts and approaches this temperature, the molecules break down and re-form into compounds. And voilà! Caramel!

If interested, check out Bon Appétit for the awesome spread of caramel-related desserts, including everything from Turtle Ice Cream Pie, Caramel Apple Crisp and Rum, Caramel and Banana Bread Pudding.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails