February 27, 2009

Recipe of the Day - Black Bean Brownies (yes, I said Black Bean)


My wonderful pal Allison C. from Texas sent me the recipe for today's posting, and I'll admit that when I first read her e-mail, I thought she was insane. Black bean brownies? Does this concoction come complete with a barf bag? But never fear, Allison is an expert in everything she does, so trust me when I say that I will be feasting on these brownies soon.

Allison says:

"I first made this when I was living in New York City and thought that finding powdered non-fat milk would be impossible. Sure enough – Food Emporium didn’t have it. HOWEVER, much to my surprise, the little bodega down the street from me had powdered non-fat milk. Props to the bodegas."

And props to Allison for enlightening us on this very unusual recipe!

Allison Clark's I Can't Believe These are Black Bean Brownies Recipe (straight outta Texas!)

Equipment Needed
Food processor
Muffin pan or 8 x 8 baking tin
Measuring cups
Measuring spoons
Spatula
Cooling rack

Ingredients
1 15 oz can unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed well
4 eggs
1 1/4 Cups Splenda
2 Tablespoons canola oil
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbs vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 Cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 Cup ricotta cheese
1 box sugar-free, fat-free chocolate pudding mix
Chopped nuts to taste (optional)
Fat-free Cool Whip (optional)

Blend beans in food processor. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Pour into 12-18 muffin cups (sprayed with Pam or lined with foil liners) and bake at 350 for approx 30 mins till set in middle. These freeze well and are really good with some fat free cool whip. You can also bake the batter in an 8X8 pan
sprayed with Pam. Takes 30-40 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails