March 7, 2009

Voodoo Doughnuts - a little bit of witch doctor in the dough does a body good.




Other than Powell's, the one place I jotted down as a MUST while visiting Portland was Voodoo Doughnuts, where according to the bakery's motto, "the magic is in the hole."

This place might be the Holy Grail of weird doughnuts. Naturally, I ordered the voodoo doll doughnut. It seemed like a classic in its own time.


However, the rest of the menu was very tempting for this doughnut enthusiast. If so inclined, you could choose from:

Grape Ape - raised doughnut with vanilla frosting and grape powder.

Dirt - raised doughnut covered with vanilla glaze and oreo cookies.

Arnold Palmer - cake doughnut covered with lemon and tea powder.

Butter Fingering - devils food, vanilla, and crushed Butterfinger.

Neapolitan - chocolate doughnut with vanilla frosting and strawberry quick powder.

Triple Chocolate Penetration - chocolate doughnut, chocolate glaze, and cocoa-puffs.

Dirty Snowball - chocolate cake doughnut covered with pink marshmallow glaze and surprise filling

Apple Fritter - apple/glaze/doughnut as big as your head.

The Memphis Mafia - chocolate chips/banana/ peanutbutter/glaze big.

Portland Creme- raised doughnut filled with creme and covered in chocolate with two eyes)

Cock-n-Balls - Bachlorette party favorite, tripple cream filled, with your favorite saying written right on it. Comes in its own pink box.

Nyquil Glazed and pepto-bismol (currently on hold)

No Name -a doughnut so good they couldn't come up with a better name. It has chocolate rice crispys and peanutbutter on it.

I don't believe the above is the full menu as I saw several other varieties in the display case.



And I have to say, after tasting my little voodoo doll, chocolate covered and filled with strawberry jam, this is definitely a place I will be returning to when I'm in Portland again.

Here are some more pics of me enjoying my doughnut:



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails