March 6, 2009

Getting a dose of religion at Saint Cupcake in Portland, Oregon


Venturing into Downtown Portland this afternoon, my friend Diane surprised me some wonderful foodie attractions. The first stop was Saint Cupcake, where we indulged in a little baking religion.

The shop itself is very..well, cupcakey. Decorated primarily in pink the shop is decent size and showcases a semi-open kitchen.

There is quite a selection, but the menu changes on a daily basis. I'm not a fan of menus like this as I inevitably find something that I would like to taste but isn't available on that particular day. Regardless, there is a good daily selection, and the shop has a calendar on their website that allows you to see what is available on a day to day basis.

Diane and I chose the following:

Vanilla with cream cheese icing
buttery vanilla cupcake with classic vanilla cream cheese iced on top.


Turtle
Rich and fudgy chocolate cake topped with gooey caramel and a drizzling of hot fudge. Topped with a pecan.


Hot fudge on vanilla
Buttery vanilla cupcake topped with gooey-drippy homemade hot fudge.


Chocolate with cream cheese icing
Rich and fudgy chocolate cupcake meets classic vanilla cream cheese icing.


I tried both the vanilla with vanilla cream cheese icing and the Turtle. The vanilla cupcake was pretty standard, and as mentioned in previous posts, I'm a buttercream fan. However, I do think that cream cheese icing is a nice choice for spiced cakes, such as pumpkin spice or cinnamon spice.

The Turtle was a great choice, if I do say so myself. The caramel and chocolate as a substitute for standard icing was a nice surprise and I caught myself licking my fingers when I had finished this yummy cupcake. To see a play-by-play photo series of me consuming the Turtle, check out these photos (courtesy of Diane). I like to call this "The Most Unflattering Series of Photos Ever Take of Mary Ann, Right in Front of the Fat High School Photos of 1999)" Enjoy:










Below are some fun photos of our time at Saint Cupcake:







No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails