March 16, 2009

Thanks for popping over to learn more about popovers


My good pal Amanda sent me a link today for a story about popovers, and I just had to share it as I feel it does a fantastic job of showing how much food (of course this example is specifically pastry-affiliated) and the community surrounding the industry means to people.

This article ran in last week's New York Times Magazine and was authored by Amanda Hesser, She recalls the story of when she e-mailed David Lebovitz, a Chez Panisse pastry chef reincarnated into a cookbook author and blogger based in Paris. Hesser had revisited a popover recipe by Maida Heatter, which originally appeared in the Times in 1966 with an article by Craig Clairborne, and was curious if Lebovitz had every attempted it.

Lebovitz's repsonse?

“I love Maida Heatter. In fact, in my desk drawer I have a handwritten letter she sent me that is one of my favorite, most cherished possessions. It traveled from San Francisco to Paris with me!”

The article goes on to give a bit of background and history on the popover, including baking techniques. You should check it out here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails