March 16, 2009

Recipe of the Day - Pantry Cleaning Muffins (i.e. anything you got in the cupboard, throw it in the mixing bowl!)


When I first started this blog, it was out of my love and obsession over pastry and dessert. However, the side effect is that more and more people are starting to read Puff and Choux, including folks I haven't talked to in over ten years. My third grade teacher, my high school applied design teacher, etc. Another such person is Andrea, the oldest daughter of my mom's best friend. I haven't seen Andrea since I was around 14 or 15 years old, so I was super surprised when she commented on my blog for the first time. It's such a great feeling to reconnect with people like this, so it's not a stretch to say that Puff and Choux is a great addition to my life.

Andrea was kind enough to send along a recipe, which I'm happy to share as today's Recipe of the Day. This is probably one of my favorite recipes so far because of the idea of using everything in your fridge or pantry instead of letting things go to waste. When we're all looking for ways to cut down on our grocery bills, Andrea's recipe is a great reminder that most of the time, we already have items in our kitchen that we can use to whip up some delicious meals and treats. Keep in mind, you can substitute a lot of these ingredients, such as blueberries for the cranberries. And jot down Andrea's tips for other substitutions - she's got some great ideas!

Also, while you're waiting for these muffins to bake, be sure to check out Andrea's blog - A Shelf Full of Books. You'll end up with some great reading recommendations to enjoy alongside your muffins!


"Don't Even Think About Throwing Away That Container of (:: Insert Food Product Here ::) - We'll Make Muffins" Recipe

Equipment:
Muffin tins
Muffin wrappers (optional)
Mixing bowls
Measuring cups
Measuring spoons
Spatulas
Measuring spoons
Cooking rack

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups oat bran
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup orange jam
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk (I didn't have any buttermilk so I mixed 1/2 tbsp white vinegar with 1/2 cup skim milk)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. orange water (found in Middle Eastern grocery stores)
1 cup frozen cranberries
1/3 cup coconut flakes


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine yogurt, jam, buttermilk, sugar, oil, egg, and extracts. Make a well in dry ingredients and add wet mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in berries and coconut. Fill muffin cups 2/3- over- full. This made a dozen.

Bake for 16-18 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails