March 13, 2009

Alternative to store-bought candy eggs for those homemade Easter baskets.


Sometimes, homemade gifts mean a lot more than a pre-packaged easter basket bought at a drug store. My mom and dad, for one, are an excellent holiday theme gift givers. Even though I'm now in my late 20s, they still send me a gift for every holiday, including Easter. It's funny - I always assumed everyone's parents did this sort of thing until I started working in an office. Every time a package would arrive filled with stuffed Easter bunnies, candy eggs, the obligatory box of Peeps and other little holiday tokens, inevitably, a handful of coworkers will make comments. At first, I thought they were being snotty about my parents adorable factor, but their true feelings are always revealed. The conversations typically go like this:

Coworker: "Whoa. Who sent you that present?"
Me: "My mom and dad. Aren't they awesome?"
Coworker: "Aren't you a little old for a stuffed rabbit and a chocolate chick?"
Me: "No."
Coworker: "Is that Peter Rabbit stationery in there too?"
Me: "Sure is."
Coworker: "I wish my parents would send me presents..."

:: End scene with Mary Ann revealing a smile of satisfactory and saying "Porch Parents: 1, Other Parents: 0." ::

For those of you interested in trying to make some goodies for Easter baskets this year, hop on over to Martha Stewart Living's website - they have a recipe on homemade truffle easter eggs. Let me know if you try out this recipe - I'd love to hear about your results!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails